Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

MINDING MY BUSINESS

I saw her first from a distance,
Adorned with rags and exotic insects.
Her signature scent was Very Vile,
Hair and makeup by House of Life's Trials.
The world moved on in the midday heat,
People so busy, they never missed a beat.
'People with needs is nothing new;
We've got ours, we could mention a few.'

For one second, I thought I might pause,
Find out her story, what the problem was.
But like others before, I averted my eye,
Looked straight ahead, walked on by.
I might sound pious, and very nice
If I told you she'd haunt me for many nights.
But I'm sorry to say that I will forget her,
Long before I turn the next corner.

So I wished her well, this poor, sad soul,
But I had enough issues to call my own.

3 comments:

  1. I think the reason why we ignore goes deeper than the reason of having problems of our own to solve. It is more of a silly fear of getting "infected" by the gravity of the victim's problems. We stay away mostly out of fear than being self centred.

    Lovely one Uche

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this, as well as the other pieces I've read. You write well.

    Ibukun

    ReplyDelete