Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

WANT TO STAY FRESH FOREVER...?



...Then become a McDonald's Happy Meal.

This is probably old news to many people, but to me it's still a shocking new discovery so I'm blogging about it. I already knew that most junk fast food restaurants serve processed foods that are not very healthy, but did you know that McDonalds burgers do not decay. I read here, here and here accounts of people who did minor experiments on this, leaving the foods in the open for as long as twelve years! And the foods didn't even grow mold. Added to that, they remained untouched by flies and other household pets.

Even while I'm thankful that we don't (yet) have McDonald's in Nigeria, I can't help but wonder about all the other fast food chains, especially the foreign ones. That aside, with the emergence of genetically modified foods and organisms, how much control do we really have over what we eat. Most of us don't even know where our food comes from.

This is not meant to scare anybody, but to prompt us to give more thought to what we eat. I have still a long way to go, myself. I knowingly do a lot of unhealthy stuff every day, but food that doesn't grow old like everything else...well, that's just creepy.

5 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the movie, Food Inc. We really need to pay more attention to what goes into our mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Myne: Definitely. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! are u serious? it doesn't decay? wow...my aunts' kids eat McDonalds happy meal like 4 times a week and the toys for the kids sef make dem wanna go there...not like dey don't have enuf toys sef. hmmm na wa o

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Beautiful: I'm not writing from experience, of course, but I believe the accounts I've read. You could try telling your Aunt about this and asking her to do her own experiment just to be sure. I found this quite shocking myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree! Down with processed foods. I've been trying to avoid them, but I still eat the occasional cookie and white bread. I'm planning on making my own snacks so I don't have to keep running to packaged goods.
    Ibukun (henceforth, IO)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...