Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

FARAFINA TRUST WORKSHOP: THE FINALE

The Farafina Trust literary evening was a fitting end to such a wonderful workshop. It held at Eko Hotels and we had dinner after at Protea on Awolowo Road. We had Jumoke Verrissimo, Odia Ofeimun, Eghosa Imasuen, Tash Aw, Binyavanga Wainaina (who showed up with his head and beard green, don’t ask me why) and Faith Adiele read from their work. And there was a performance by Waje. All in all, a great evening.

I didn’t cry—thank God—but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel like it. After spending ten days with nineteen other people I shared something in common with, it was kind of sad parting. There are some of us I know I’ll probably never see again. Thankfully, there are others I know I will see again. It’s amazing how well we all got along, and I believe that we will follow each others’ lives as closely as we can, thank God for email and blogs and facebook.

Here’s to all of you.

Pemi Aguda – the undisputed queen of flash fiction, I remain loyal.

Tahirah Abdulazeez – the one with the very rich imagination (hope you said a proper goodbye to Casper, or whatever his name was), and the interesting face.

Doris Ogale – Miss Sunshine. It was always such a pleasure reading her work.

Elnathan John – the one who made us laugh till we cried with his freakishly accurate impressions. The same one who made us cringe with his very apt critiques. The one of great insight.

Gboyega Otolorin – the one who brought us joy with his stories and his personality.

Olumide Owoo – the one with the deeply insightful stories and calm presence.

Emezuom Nworgu – the ‘uncle’ of the class, with the wise, gentle voice.

Chinyere Obi-Obasi – the ‘mummy’ of the class; passionate, unpretentious and committed to her writing.

Irene – the one with the infectious laugh and truthful stories.

Buchi Nduka – the bubbly one who wrote the daring pieces.

Nkem Awachie – her stories were beautifully grounded and very easy to relate with.

Osemhen Akhibi – she of the beautiful smile and even more beautiful stories.

Glory Edozien – our drama queen; her voice is unmistakably hers.

Lauri Kubuitsile – our Caine woman. I deeply admire her way with words.

Wame Molefhe – the quiet one. Wame has a depth and mystique that always find their way into her writing, to the reader’s pleasure.

Tolu Talabi – he of great mischief and twinkling eyes. His writing is as quirky as he is and I can tell we will be good friends.

Gimba Kakanda – the one with linguistic playfulness and philistinical approaches. I have my eye on you.

Funke Ogundimu – the one with the voice of a sage. Funke’s writing has an understated but distinct and almost surreal flavour.

Morenike Singer – the warm and ever glamourous Miss Singer; her writing has a depth and honesty that is hard to miss.

It was an honour to meet and get to know all you beautiful people.   

2 comments:

  1. Uche - It was also an honor meeting you and learning from your stories rich in depth and creativity. I hope you're good. Cheers. - Irene Nwoye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene. Thanks for reading and following *mwah*
      I shall retaliate!

      Delete