Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

NEVERLAND


Image from here


Many of us had that childhood friend of the opposite sex that all the adults would declare our husband or wife. When it first starts, we’ll protest loud enough for the world to hear, shed a tear or two even. But after some time we’ll kind of accept it and it’ll stick. I had mine. Let’s call him Tade. Tade and I were always in the same class throughout primary school, and we always shared the same seat. We were different in many ways – he was Yoruba, I was Igbo; he was dark, I was yellow; he was talkative and quick witted (at least as much as a seven-year-old could be), I was quiet; he was Muslim, I was Christian.

Our chemistry was about fights, competition and the rare ‘awwww’ moment; it was our own special blend. We didn’t share any late night dinners, but we did examine each other’s lunches during break at school. He’d sometimes bring this beans-maize-garri combo and I’d just stare in awe. Instead of romantic evening walks, we had the walk home from school every afternoon. For sweet nothings, he would call me yellow pawpaw, and I’d say he was black like amala.

We weren’t hung up on sex and kissing and all that other messy stuff. Having birthday parties, fancy stationery and high scores, those got our blood pumping. And it was understood that whoever finished writing out Uncle Daniel's assigned fifty Ugo C. Ugo questions first had bragging rights for a whole week. I took my victories quietly; he always bragged. But it was okay since he hardly ever won.

We didn’t know all the terms, but we understood the basic rules of our relationship; like we were allowed to have other friends. Some days he’d seem to want Male Bonding, so he’d stick with the guys and I’d make attempts to blend in with the girls. I wasn’t the jealous type. He was allowed to talk to other girls, even share his weird food with them if he liked. But, permissive as I was, even I had to draw the line at some point. That point came one day when he needed to sharpen his pencil and didn’t have a sharpener. I stretched forth mine just at the same moment that Prisca, (the yellowest, most girly girl in class) who had the seat in front of us, offered hers. For an interminable moment, he looked from my plain purple sharpener (Made in Taiwan) to her Voltron (Defender of the Freakin’ Universe!) sharpener and back again, before smiling and taking hers. I was shattered.

“It’s Voltron!” he whispered to me when Prisca faced her notebook again.

I smiled my understanding. Yes, dear.

He finished using the sharpener and placed it on the desk between us. Moments later, I asked Uncle Daniel for permission to use the bathroom. I did, and I returned to class feeling physically lighter. After a while, Prisca turned to Tade and stretched forth her palm for her sharpener. Tade glanced at the spot where he’d dropped it and, what do you know, it was gone! Me, I was really supportive as he rifled around, shook out his notebook, shook out mine, turned over our desk. When he asked the class: “Who took Prisca’s Voltron sharpener?!” I helped echo it louder. The class stared back; nobody responded. But the silly girl wouldn’t let it go, and soon the whole class was on a Voltron hunt. She even insisted on a body and bags search for everyone. If they had asked, I might have told them they’d never see Voltron again.

Tade and I walked back home together after school that day, me quiet because I almost always am; him quiet because the wheels in his head were turning.

“I know what you did,” he decided finally. I kept my mouth shut.

We got to the kiosk on his street and he stopped and bought me five wraps of *baba dudu, which I accepted graciously. We continued walking.

“Yellow pawpaw,” he muttered.

I smiled and sucked on my sweet. His apology was complete.


*baba dudu: dark, oblong shaped, locally made sweets that were popular when I was a child. 

19 comments:

  1. Lmaooooo! U bad girl u!!! The way u write sha!!! So effortless and 'flowy'. So where is Tade now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-)

    Tade... he's somewhere far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...I really laughed hard while reading this. LOLLLL...at first I was like, 'no she didn't just eliminate the voltron sharpener,' then I finally concluded that that was the line drawn. Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha!!!!! Hilarious uche :)...So just btw, whats tades real name :D (I won't tell...cross my heart)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I'm pretty sure you don't know him.

      Delete
  5. Hilarious. Love at such a tender age! Yellow pawpaw like you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adebowale AdekunbiJune 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

    lol Very funny and nice. That was an act to define things for both of them, especially for Tade.
    Very kind and gentle of you but heartless towards Prisca.
    lol Did Tade ever do something similar to this again?

    I see true friendship and love in the story.
    As we grow and begin to think of love, I wonder why true friendship can become unacceptable or even infuriating to one of two very good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has got to be one if your best yet. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So real and true. Very heart warming as well. Depicts true friendship that is very rare to find in adulthood. I had mine too, he was Tony, and just like yours', he's far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's team up, go find Tony and Tade and bring them back jor! What say you.

      Thanks for taking time to read and comment.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing story, so good it beats reality. I guess you just write so well...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...